Queensland Sports and Olympic Games Minister Tim Mander has resigned from his position in the cabinet after revelations that he has been referred to the federal police.
Last month it was revealed that Mander had been registered to vote at his electorate’s address in Arana Hills, part of the Everton electorate in Brisbane‘s north.
But at the time he was accused of living in taxpayer-funded accommodation in Parliament instead.
“How can Queenslanders trust this minister if he cannot answer the most basic question: where do you live?” Deputy Opposition Leader Cameron Dick said this.
Mander denied all allegations and referred himself to the Queensland Electoral Commission.
“I am confident that I have met all the requirements of the ECQ and the AEC [Australian Electoral Commission] and I have no problem to hide, Mr. Chairman,” he said on April 23.
“That’s why I signed up.”
It was forwarded to the AEC.
“The AEC is of the opinion that there is currently no convincing evidence to establish that Mr Mander resided at the registered address,” it stated last week, saying the cases in question were linked to a possible criminal offence.
Late this afternoon, Mander announced he was withdrawing after news broke that he had been referred to the Australian Federal Police for possible investigation.
He was informed of the development last night and insisted he had followed the correct processes and it was his decision to stand aside
“I have no intention of this becoming a distraction from the important work of the government and that is why this afternoon I informed the Prime Minister that I will be standing aside as a minister today while this is sorted out,” he said today.
He acknowledged that this all started with the breakdown of his marriage, and he updated his election records to reflect that he lived at an address in Arana Hills.
He is now a backstabber and will no longer receive ministerial rewards and perks.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get the latest news and exclusive stories first by following us on all platforms.