Connect with us

Peter Liddy: Notorious paedophile to be released from jail

News

Peter Liddy: Notorious paedophile to be released from jail

A pedophile ex-magistrate will be released from prison when his sentence ends, but he will immediately be placed in house arrest pending a verdict. court‘s decision about his future.

South Africa’s Attorney General Kyam Maher has applied to the High Court to detain Liddy indefinitely or subject him to an extended supervision order.

Peter Liddy, 83, will be released on June 4 after serving a 25-year prison sentence for child abuse in South Australia between 1982 and 1986. (9News)

Liddy’s barrister Jeff Powell SC had sought an adjournment of these applications, which Judge Rachael Gray refused on Wednesday, meaning the applications would go ahead.

Instead, she said it was “appropriate for the protection and safety of the community” that Liddy was released into home detention and subjected to an intensive supervision regime for an initial period of six months.

Gray placed restrictions on Liddy’s internet access and banned him from contacting children.

He must also wear an electronic transmitter, not use alcohol or drugs, or possess a firearm.

In order to make a decision on the applications for indefinite detention or extended supervision, the court now needs reports from two medical experts on whether Liddy is unwilling or unable to control his sexual instincts.

At a hearing earlier in May, Powell said the Crown in 2019 requested a report from their “trusted and hand-picked expert,” forensic psychiatrist Dr. Craig Raeside, on whether a similar detention application should be made.

He must also wear an electronic transmitter, not use alcohol or drugs, or possess a firearm. (9News)

Gray said on Wednesday that she had noted that both parties felt Raeside was a suitable person to conduct a review.

“The evidence before this court supports this view,” she said.

The case will return to court on November 18 for further arguments on the requests.

A spokesman for Maher said the government’s priority was the safety and protection of the community “and we have taken every step available to us”.

“We are pleased with the court’s decision to deny Liddy’s request to permanently stay the proceedings,” the spokesperson said.

‘The court has ordered expert medical reports to determine whether Liddy is willing and able to control his sexual instincts.

“These reports are essential in determining whether he will be detained indefinitely.”

Liddy was sentenced to a minimum of 18 years in prison in 2001 for sexually abusing four boys while working as a coach at the Brighton Surf Life Saving Club and for offering to bribe one of the victims. (9News)

Liddy was sentenced to a minimum of 18 years in prison in 2001 for sexually abusing four boys while working as a coach at the Brighton Surf Life Saving Club and for offering to bribe one of the victims.

His previous requests for parole have been denied.

Frances Nelson, chair of the Parole Board, has said the board is “uncomfortable that he continues not to pose a risk to the community.”

“He blames the victim and has no empathy for his victims,” she said.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Be the first to receive your latest news and exclusive stories by following us on all platforms.

Continue Reading
You may also like...

More in News

To Top